NFM / Welding Engineer’s polymer compounding technology has been trusted for over a half-century. Featuring both the intermeshing technology of our TEM Series and the counter-rotating, non-intermeshing design and performance of our WE Series, NFM can offer a compounding system designed for your specific application.
As a leading manufacturer of intermeshing twin-screw extruders, non-intermeshing twin-screw extruders, and full polymer compounding turnkey systems, NFM is uniquely qualified to support any and all of your process requirements.
TEM Series Co-Rotating Intermeshing Twin Screw Extruders
- High shear capabilities for superior melting of multiple polymer streams
- Intensive dispersive mixing for excellent homogeneity
- Flexibility of screw and barrel configuration design for various feed streams
WE Series Counter-Rotating Non-Intermeshing Twin Screw Extruders
- Low shear and high surface renewal for superior washing & venting
- Wide feed openings and downward screw motion for excellent feed acceptance
- Long L/D ratios permit multistage additions
- Reduced wear due to minimize rubbing surfaces in the non-intermeshing design
NFM’s Process Development Engineers continuously work directly with you, and perform independent research, aimed to optimize polymer compounding processes. Our Process Development Lab is fully equipped to test, optimize, and scale-up your polymer compounding application in any discipline, including:
DIRECT EXTRUSION & COATING
NFM offers a complete extrusion lines engineered to combine the manufacture of your final product with in-line polymer compounding. Whether you’re looking to produce profiles, film, sheet, or apply a layer of compound to a continuous process (coating), NFM will work with you to develop a product system which puts you in complete control of you product formulation and eliminate the need to purchase pre-compounded materials.
With stiffening environmental regulations, pressure-sensitive adhesive users are switching from solvent-based to hot-melt systems. NFM’s twin-screw hot-melt extrusion technology makes it possible to save up to one-third the cost of the adhesive by compounding in-house. Our twin-screw mixing process, offers a higher melt quality and better process control than can be achieved in a single-screw process.
NFM offers proven solutions for hot-melt extrusion of both solid (pellet/flake) resins via traditional loss-in-weight feeders, as well as molten resins through our advanced molten resin feeding systems.
Typical Polymers & Applications: SIS Based Hot Melt Adhesives, EVA Based Hot Melt Adhesives, Acrylic Adhesives
FLAKE RESIN COMPOUNDING
MOLTEN RESIN COMPOUNDING
- NFM’s TEM Series co-rotating, intermeshing twin screw extruders offer ideal shear and mixing properties to hot-melt adhesive compounds.
- NFM’s WE Series counter-rotating, tangential screw design provides thorough mixing of resins with a wide range of viscosities and melting temperatures, designed to generates high shear without high temperature to protect heat sensitive resins.
- Eliminates the need for pre-blending then high-melt viscosity polymers are introduced first and extruded into a uniform state by the twin-screw action.
- Low-viscosity materials, which can be pre-melted if desired, are added downstream.
- Oil can be injected into the barrel of the compounder in a final stage.
- Continuous compounding action of the twin-screw mixing process improves quality control and produces a uniform hot-melt adhesive.
SHORT RESIDENT TIME
- Twin-screw mixing virtually eliminates the cross linking of polymers that occurs during batch processing when high temperatures are maintained over extended periods. Residence time is often no longer than 15 seconds.
LOW OPERATING COST
- NFM’s hot-melt adhesive compounding extruders are not labor intensive and utilize adiabatic extrusion for minimum energy cost per pound of product.
OUR INNOVATIVE EXTRUSION TEST PILOT PLANT ALLOWS OUR CUSTOMERS TO PERFORM LAB-SCALE DEVELOPMENT AND SMALL PRODUCTION RUNS TO SIMULATE ACTUAL FIELD PRODUCTION CONDITIONS.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL US AT 330-837-3868 OR FOR INFORMATION REGARDING A SPECIFIC PRODUCT OR APPLICATION CLICK HERE.